Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

I like this video, but there were a few parts where I disagree. I think it is good for children to learn how to communicate online, and how to work with certain blogs and web pages. But I also think that children are now days to much on the computer with Video Games/Myspace/chat rooms.... and is that a good thing?
I think that Vicki Davis has a good thing going. I felt, just from watching the video, that she was making a difference in their little rural town of Georgia. The students were actually teaching the other students. Also having them look up words they dont understand on google, rather than her just explaining the definition is a way to have them be more responsible. =) Another thing i liked from the video, was the class traveling to the middle east for a conference. That is something the students will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. But I also think that children are now days to much on the computer with Video Games/Myspace/chat rooms.... and is that a good thing?

    So what about the students in this class? 91% definitely want to teach and there are 180 Facebook and My Space accounts among them. Should we be surprised that kids also do that. Can we learn to turn those activities into productive time? If so, that will be great? And shouldn't everyone have some free time? Maybe if we had better learning opportunities for kids you wouldn't worry as much!

    ReplyDelete

Followers